Monday, June 18, 2007

Day 8 - Week 2 Begins!

The Making of a Service Dog Team - Suzan & Logan's two week team training

Wow, I can't believe that we're starting our second week of team training already! Starting tomorrow, we'll be taking field trips each day, that will be exciting!

Today we practiced even more difficult retrieves with the items in a hard to reach area under very low benches. I got the dollar bill first again!!!! And I finally picked up the heavy mystery can that I hadn't been able to do before. The final item was very challenging and Suzan and I had to figure out how to get it. "Take it" wasn't working, free shaping wasn't working and finally Suzan directed me to "under" and then "take it" and I went for it! Success!!!!

I also carried a plastic bag full of other plastic bags (how silly is that!?) around the center walking by Suzan's scooter. Piece of cake!

I'm still having problems with opening a door using a strap and pushing a cabinet door shut with my nose. I'm just not forceful enough, Suzan said I need to eat more spinach.

We stopped at a store on the way home and Suzan dropped her cane while standing at the register counter. She cued me to pick it up and I did. This was for real, not just practice!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well this sounds like a busy week, but we know that you and your mom are up to the task.
We are so enjoying your blog, keep up the good work.

OlRedHair said...

Logan,

You are amazing! Already you are assisting Suzan just when she needs it. I know each day you will get stronger and will soon be slamming all those cupboard doors!